Monday, October 1, 2007

Guardian Angel


The twins have a very special guardian angel, someone I miss very dearly: my Grandpa Boettcher.

They were born on his birthday, August 9, as though deliberately honoring a great man whom they will never know except in stories. But I vow to teach them about this great man of West Bloomfield, Michigan, who had all the time in the world for his grandkids despite a demanding career that he carried out far past reasonable retirement. Grandpa was a chemical engineer, one of those people who is so smart he was in a different league than the rest of us.

Yet he was amazingly normal, too. He had a great sense of humor and gave great hugs. He never, ever ended a conversation without telling you he loved you. He was a skilled carpenter and could make beautiful works of art out of wood. And he was patient enough to explain every step of the process while my brother and I held his tools like a surgeon's assistants.

Grandpa died at 83 on April 24, 2003, leaving behind my precious Grandma and his five daughters.

He never had a son to follow in his footsteps. So, I can only imagine how proud he is to share his special birthday with two great-grandsons who actually look quite a bit like him!

Grandpa, we LOVE you! Thanks for watching after these little boys!

1 comment:

  1. Shut my mouth, make me cry!!! Bean, you know how to write!!! I am so proud of you...and the rest of your menagerie!!! God bless big...I can't wait for each and every installment...thanks for letting me in. All my heart, M

    ReplyDelete