Thursday, February 21, 2013

Couch Crowders

I have to remember to cherish the moments...

We recently got new living room furniture, and we now have seating for about 10 people. We are a family of four.

The following is a nightly occurrence:

I come home from a long day of work and sometimes a grueling workout at the gym; help with dinner, laundry, etc. etc. By the time I finally take a shower and hear the couch calling my name, I look forward to picking a spot in our 10-person living room to relax for a few minutes and take a deep breath.

I choose my spot carefully - somewhere secluded.

But somehow, at the moment my butt hits the soft leather, a trigger is engaged; a signal is sent into the sky. Somehow, precisely 2.5 seconds after I drift into the inviting new cushions, I am flanked by both kids. Not one, but both. So closely, that I actually have difficulty expelling that deep, cleansing breath I so looked forward to.

It's at that moment that my entire being wants to scream, "Get away from me and let me have my space!"

Then I look down and see a little head on my right shoulder and a little hand on my left forearm and it hits me.

Some day -- probably soon -- the twins won't want to even talk to me, let alone sit close to me.

So, despite my longing for a quiet break from the busy day, I succumb to a three-way couch cuddle and remind myself to enjoy it while it lasts. Some day I'll look back fondly and wish to have it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment